Ayur Jack is a famous jackfruit variety of Kerala. It is developed by a Keralite, Mr. Tharakan. Ayur Jack bears the sweet ‘Varikka’ variety of jackfruit in one-and-a-half years under proper care.
How does Ayur Jackfruit taste?
- The fruit is very sweet and fleshy.
- One jackfruit weighs around 5-12 Kg.
- It has a smaller number of seeds.
Characteristics of Ayur Jackfruit
- Ayur Jack gives fruits throughout the year if properly maintained.
- Leaves are big, thick and dark green.
- The trees grow hardly seven to eight feet high.
- It can be grown easily in drums and containers.
Health Benefits of Ayur Jackfruit
- A rich source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, and some other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Jackfruit seeds may help reduce levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Raw jackfruit helps in type 2 diabetes.
- Jackfruit is a rich source of antioxidants, that is essential for a healthy immune system.
- It contains substances with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may also help promote wound healing
How to Plant An Ayur Jack Sapling?
- Finding the right place for planting the tree is the first step. Vietnam early jackfruit requires abundant sunlight, so make sure not to plant the tree under any other trees or shades.
- The issue of waterlogging has to be avoided.
- Dig a hole that is 2 meters in height, width and length.
- It is recommended to use budded plants instead of seeds as the bud will get all the traits of its mother plant. The budded plant tends to grow faster than the seeds.
Fertilisers to use
- Mix two cups of cow manure and goat manure, 1 kilogram of groundnut cake powder and neem cake powder, 50 grams of pseudomonas, and upper soil and fill the hole with this mix.
- After filling the hole, take another small hole to plant the jackfruit bud. Make sure the budded part should come above the soil level while planting.
- Water the plant twice a day at least for 6 months and after that water once in 3 months.
Care / Pruning
- No constant care is needed for the tree as it has good immunity against pest and other diseases. But any of the leaves comes under bugs or fungal attack, use Bordeaux mixture.
- Prune the unnecessary branches every year as the stem is not thick as other varieties.
Post fertilisation procedures
- After the initial fertilizations, repeat the same amount of fertilizations every 6 months.
- It is important to apply fertilizer in the evening or the morning. Do not do it during noontime, when the sun is hot.
- After fertilizations, it is important to water the plant at least for two weeks, in the morning and afternoon to reduce heat-exhausted from fertilizers.