Kuttiyadi, a place which is situated 30 kilometers from the city of Calicut (Kozhikode), is known as the coconut capital of Kerala. The farmers are cultivating different kinds of coconuts, but among them, the variety known as kuttiyadi coconut has more value than others. Its coconut is superior to other coconut varieties in terms of the taste of its water, coconut flesh, oil, and the number of coconuts it bears. Sometimes people use its trunk for furniture, this shows how hard the trunk is..
Kuttiyadi is the most cultivated coconut variety in Asia. The average maturity time of Kuttiyadi coconut tree is 4-5 years. Many factors contribute to early fruiting such as water, sunlight, care, the distance of each tree planted, etc.. and the Average lifespan of Kuttiyadi is around 100-150 years. Many other hybrid varieties are not even near to this span.
Features that make kuttiyadi the first choice for farmers
- Farmers get 70 percent of oil from the kuttiyadi coconuts which are high compared to other varieties. The smell of the oil is more aromatic than other coconut kinds.
- It is one of the best coconuts in Asia. Flesh and water from the coconut are tastier than the other kinds.
- Kuttiyadi coconut is bigger. With husk, the fruit would come around 1 kg to 1.300 kg and without husk 600 gm-800 gm, if the coconut tree is properly nurtured.
- Another important aspect is that the variety can give fruits more than 100 years. But in the hybrid varieties, we cannot be so sure.
- We can expect 150-250 coconuts per year from the tree, depends on the soil and care that we provide.
- The tree is drought tolerant comparing hybrid varieties.
- Comparing hybrid varieties, kuttiyadi is pest resistant. It is mainly because of the hardness of the wood. Unlike the hybrid, kuttiyadi does not have sweetness in its trunk.
- In 3-4 months, the seeds will be sprouting.
- In 5 years, the tree will bear fruits. But if we give better care then the tree will bear fruits from the 4th year.
- Virgin oil from these coconuts is very good and have good demand in the market.
- The tree will grow up to 30-50 meters depending upon the soil it grows.
- Its trunk is so hard that once it is polished well, it can be used for furniture and other uses.
How to plant kuttiyadi coconut
- Dig a hole that is 1 metre in length, width and height.
- Fill the hole approximately 60cm using cow manure, neem cake powder, bone meal and loose soil.
- Place the coconut and later fill the hole with the remaining loose soil.
- Many suggest, before planting the sapling it is better to dig a pit inside the hole or there is the chance for slanting the tree while growing.
Fertilisers for kuttiyadi coconut
- Cow manure, bone meal, neem cake powder, and compost all are good for the coconut tree.
- Instead of giving fertilisers once in every year, it is recommended to break it down to three or four times a year.