Ants are annoying pests that love the garden area often getting a taste of your vegetables before you. They play an important role in destroying vegetable crops. Potatoes, cucumbers and melons are mainly destroyed by ants.
The ants that you see, walking above ground, are just the worker ants. The nest is the heart of the problem, it houses the queen and several are larvae and cocoons. You want to kill the nest to stop the problem.
The simple homemade solutions to prevent ant attack on vegetable garden are..
- Mix 250 gms each of slake and rock salt in a kilogram of ash and scatter it over where ants are seen. The heat and burn from this mixture will drive away the ants.
- Dig up the homes to expose as several ants as possible and pour the boiling water over the top of them. The boiling hot water will kill ants.
- Collect citrus peelings like orange, lemon, etc and ground them by using an adequate amount of water. Eliminate the liquid concoction and spray it over the mound of ant hills.
- Mix half a teaspoon of liquid dish soap with one and a half teaspoons of cooking oil with one quart of water. Pour some into a spray bottle to take care of ants outside the nest and after that pour the rest directly into the nest.
- Mix baking powder or boric acid powder in powdered sugar and place under the plants without getting it wet.
- In case of biting ants, mix boric powder with dried prawn powder and apply on the affected areas.
- Spray baby powder, cinnamon or pepper to repel ants.
- Spray one liter of white vinegar directly on the area where the ants are.
- Chili powder and salt can be sprinkled or mixed with water and sprayed over.
- Sprinkle dried peppermint all over.
- Place bitter tasting cucumber peels on the ant infested area and replace them with fresh peels every alternate day.
- Grind camphor and mix it in oil. Take some in a cloth and wipe the ant infested area.